Thursday, January 05, 2006 |  
The plasma tv came in today, despite my objections for a tv in the first place (The best local programme from Mediacorp is the news. Then again, in the news…. Everything Singapore is good, everything in other countries is bad.)

I checked the price tag and hey… it came up much cheaper than I expected it to be. Normally I’d guess the price to be around the five thousand dollar mark…. But my dad paid three thousand plus for this Toshiba. In cash, no less.

Quite a nice tv, really… my childhood friend and her mum has been watching the tv since it got set up and I watched discovery channel’s Secrets of the Battleship Yamato too.

I wonder how long the novelty value would last. After all, my dad intended this to be coupled with the Bose surround sound system for “a true home cinema environment”…. Which I’m yet to fix up because I’m quite blur in fixing up five speakers with an RCA cable each. Guess the manual is there for a reason.

Enough of my technical mumbo-jumbo.

One thing I dislike when new things come into the house (be it a cat, a couch, or my new girlfriend...) is the usual dad-mom ideology conflict.

Dad runs things like the boss he is in a hotel and mum seems rather blur but tries to pull a façade infront of that by constantly nodding her head and “uh-huh”-ing when the tech guy explains how to fix a dvd to the tv (you need to be thought that?). Oh, and don’t forget the mouth wincing and suckling plus the ‘slang’. (hey hey… the only people who can pull off authentic accents in the family is my sister and me, okay? Though I think I do a better job at it, really. Lol.)

Dad’s much simple. He just calls my name and I fix the thing up for him.

Mum will go around, calling the tech guy, asking questions, then rummaging through the store to bring out a box of “lost cables”, pulling them out one by one and start describing them (to who? I have no idea.) like,” this wire has three plugs, red, white and yellow and the other end is the small jack, with three yellow stripes on it.” After which she spends the whole day reading the manual and I sometimes pity her when I see the floor around her strewn with open books and a dismantled dvd player. So much so I just go up to her, get her out of there and fix the thing up myself.

After which she’ll ask what’s wrong and what I did.

Normally it’s the input/output jack problem thingy.

I thought I said enough of my technical mumbo-jumbo?

Anyways school is starting... I think.

Just found out that I had homework.
Posted by Audi