Friday, June 23, 2006 |  
Mein Bereich's counter hits 10,000! But that was three days ago.

I hope you guys had three days of fun oogling at the girls in the previous post.

It’s confirmed… im a nerd. The past three days I shut my doors, smses, msn, etc etc, working on my CG project. Henry’s reluctance to reply to SMS I send to him during my short breaks (a guy needs to socialize you know) somewhat helped me sink further into this isolation thingabob. Thanks henry knn…

I threw away my Centaur model after I found out im not in love with it anymore. I mean.. geez.. the head… and body… the devil-legs… bah…

So I drew up a new sketch.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I call this guy, “Pudge”, in memory of Donald, who just passed on (well it feels like it. I wish he'd reappear somewhere). He likes to use the fat guy during DOTA games so that's pretty much it… modeling fat round things is relatively easy.

I decided to go ahead with the dark and macabre theme with a touch of warmth to it, which is sumbolized by the guy’s face. Look at that.. so cute… maybe I’d put a little bird infornt of it so it’ll be oh so sweet ya?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I then proceeded to draw out a… schematic… view of the model’s head. Because the head… no matter how small it is compared to the body… will always be the first thing an audience sees. So it’s gotta be detailed, crisp, attractive, and so on.

Back in 1999 I was into drawing comics. So I got my parents to buy for me books on drawing (as usual, to their disappointment cos they wanted me to buy maths books). For some reason I bought books that thought me how to sketch animals and human faces. I studied the books religiously… for about 3 months. Then it was gone forever somewhere.
It’s been a while since I sketched faces. Pretty happy with the results…. Except that it has some similarity to a fat Chinese man so I’ll have to work on that later.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I had the body completed earlier on, working on one half first, then duplicating it in symmetry and merging them together. That’s a timesaver.

You can see that no details are on it yet.. just the basic muscles and neh neh..

And here’s where buying those nude modeling books pays off. We havent been thought in school how to model things based on drawings yet. But Norman Majadas Belen (cool name for a CG teacher) left some links on the school database so I went peeky-peeky and learned what I could.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I set up the grid in the 3d space. The side view of the sketch was a bit narrow so I had that stretched a bit.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Then… the anal process begins. I started out with one single polygon (square) right on the tip of the nose, lined it up with the sketches on both axes… and started to duplicate them and line it up with the sketches. It took me an hour and a half to do the whole nose. And about another hour to delete away a half of it and reshape it to what you see.

Thank god my sleeping schedule is messed up; I sleep at 9am, wake up at 5pm, model till 9am… At night no one disturbs you.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Then the mouth and lips appeared. It isnt as perfect as I wanted it to be but all those can be pulled and push later.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Then the chin came down and the eye sockets popped up and the cheek under development. I’ve spent about 5 hours so far.. and the sun is already rising.

After a while I got kinda bored so I tried to spice up my work by shaping the skull so that I could have a sneak preview on how my head’s gonna be like.

And also to form a structure for me to play with as well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here’s a mock up of it. They’re not joined yet.. just linig them up. Plenty of problems; the neh neh is too close and muscular and it was supposed to be lower, wtih the head poking up above it, not below it.

But below it is fine I guess… the sicker the better. Oh yeah and I have to make the back loom further. The thing just looks like… I dunno…. Kai ming?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The whole time I worked with only one half of the face. Periodically I had it symmetriz-ation-ed to see the whole face. Meh… looks ok for now. Can be better.

Over the three days I always found this awesome awesome program for modeling which I think I’d be dabbling in for a long time… and soon be well-versed in it like Photoshop. Everybody does Photoshop now. Everybody knows there’s a better feature than the brightness/contrast slider. Everybody knows how to work with layers. Everybody knows Sheryl started using photoshop because I told her to download the program and gave her the cd key (which i didn’t tell her how to use it… she learned by her own. KUDOS!). So uh… yeah its good to learn sth new.

Anyways this program is called ZBrush. Some of the guys have heard of this before. I just found out about it ok so keep your pants up!

Let me show and example.

This is Pudge’s three-fingered hand made in XSI.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Remember what I said about XSI being ridiculously smooth and round-y? Well it’s partly because of the material assigned to it but that’s another thing.

It took me about an hour to model this hand. Yeah.. it takes hours to model. It’s actually quite sickening. This explains why our CG classes are 4 hours long...... and quiet.

So I loaded up ZBrush, that’s available for trial (30 days) at Pixologic.com Have a look see.

And then I roughly modeled my hand again, from scratch.

In half an hour I got this.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The interface is confusing at first… but it’s smooth-flowing when you know how it works. As you can see the details are insane! I added in the veins… the bumbs.. the knuckles… the everything… all n half and hour. It’ll probably take three days or more or impossible to get this kind of thing in XSI or any other 3d software. The total number of polygons for this hand is about two million. The one is XSI is about…. A few hundred?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Just look at the ridiculous fingernail chipping.

Of course, I woud not be tweaking my modeling in ZBrush, just to be fair to my classmates (but once they know how to use it, I’ll go full steam ahead). I’ll probably only use ZBrush to texture my model.

The reason why ZBrush hasn’t taken over the other big names is because it’s essentially a 2.5D modeling software rather than a 3D software. It works like photoshop… But just with some elemtns of 3d. You cant animate it and it cant stay in 3d space. It’s like.. once you’re done with your model, it just drops onto the canvas, and you can't rotate or scale it anymore r anything. It becomes stuck on like a painting, at the angle you left it.

But life has been good and basically every major visual software can be interlinked. So you can do a model in XSI, prep it up further in ZBrush and texture it, then load it up to Photoshop to tweak the colours a bit and then back to XSI to complete your model. So no programme can survive on its own… pretty much like everything else in the world. So be good to your friends!

And reply their damn SMS-es dammit!
Posted by Audi