Wednesday, October 20, 2004 |  
My parents asked me,"Where do you want to go after O levels?"

I didnt say a thing and continued playing Battlefield 1942 on my computer.

Then the next time i was that question, it was from a respectable uncle of mine. Seated in my favourite lounge chair, I nonchalantly said,"Filming school"

He chuckled a bit and asked me the same question again.

What? Was that a joke?

I sat forward in my chair, peered into his eyes and in the most monotonous voice I could make, I slowly reaffirmed my previous answer,"Fi-lem Skuol", and sat back in the chair again.

Apparently, another one of my favourite hobby is making videos. I plan to land myself a spot in Ngee Ann Poly's Film and Media Studies Course and finally improve the whole godforsaken film industry in Singapore. It's very obvious that this country picks looks over talent in their cast. We can have a very handsome young man on screen but his acting skills are atrocious! The way he moves, speaks and behaves makes him look more like a sissy than the confident man he is supposed to play.

A problem we Singaporeans have is tone in our spoken language. We emphasize wrong words all the time.... and use old and overused cliches.

"Hey, watssap?" (and they start making odd swaying motions that is supposed to make them look cool and relaxed)
"Have you seen dat ger/gurl?"(actors start giving silly sissy grins or try to be funny by memorizing jokes. Otherwise they all start turning to something off-camera - which is supposed to be the girl, but all their eyes are looking all over the place - with a goony look in their eyes.
"BIlif in yoself and everything is possible..." (and they do this in a tone that clearly shows they are just regurgitating the line rather than really saying it)

But there's this new local-made drama on Channel 5 called "Like My Own" and i think... i think... it would be a great show. The recent introduction of overseas Asian talent like Utt have made local television more interesting and also adds integrity to the shows. Shows like "Daddy's Girls" are mundane. So are some episodes of "Life" on Channel I. (Actually, Channel I has most of the local-made shows. Many are good, really. But sometimes our ugly side shows)

I've made a few short films before. Some are boring - slides and slides and slides of people chattering, and some are too corny - German tanks and the Wehrmacht in school (ripped off directly from Band of Brothers. Sorry.)

These are some pictures from that movie.











I've been behind the camera ever since My father bought a video cam when i was seven. Initially it was meant to record things we did during our usual end-of-year trips. We went to Australia, New Zealand, Istanbul, Saudi Arabia, China and stuff.

In 2002, I managed to get a hold onto my father's $3000 digi-cam. It was a Sony DCR PC5E bought a few years before. He always told me,"Don't bring it to school or anywhere without me around, okay?"

"Yes, daddy...."

I wonder how i managed to record over 20 tapes of my classmates and NCC camps over the years. I went up Mount Kinabalu with that camera and the unit's flag around my neck. I also brought it with me at times when my friends and i went "ghost hunting" in school. I went through Malaysian jungles with it along me and also to Taman Negara. I even lent it to my friends when they had an expedition to Mount Ophir last year.

This camera has been almost everywhere with me, literally, until it died after a big filming shoot of my Aikido class this year. It's now placed in my display cabinet - where all my prized pocessions, achievments certs and trophies are. The tape containing the footage of the Aikido demonstration is still in there.

Isn't it lucky that both of the things i like to do are related to the course i want to do in poly? Scale modelling and filming can tie up together very well.







Ameteur pictures, but I believe, with patience and support (and the peace), all these can be turned into something huge.

Scale modelling has this area called Diorama.

The modeller has to sculpt the ground, put his tank on it, beautify it a bit and finally, a slice of history and his imagination. (Okay i think my english is not in top form today...)







Obviously, these are not my pictures. They were taken from the galleries of Missing-Lynx.

Beautiful isn't it?


Posted by Audi Labels: