Thursday, August 25, 2005 |  
There was a nice sunset yesterday evening.

A dash of red and orange framed by blue-black sky and a spot of pink in the middle.

The moment i saw it from the 8th floor of the FMS block, which was on a hill in addition to that, i quickly grabbed Shaun's camera and dragged Mitch out to the corridor of the block. (sorry shaun... couldnt find you... but the pics were for you. I tried my best to take the nicest.)

Ngee Ann's corridors are different in a sense... the room are centered in the middle of the floorplan with the corridors outside. Kinda like ur hdb blocks.

There is a portion of the corridor whihc is actually the roof of the next adjoining block. The railings were about waist high there. I went up there, wrapped the caemra straps around my wrists and shot a few frames of what could be the only time i ever saw a sunset that truly reflected a perfect day's closing.

and falling down from where i was wasnt gonna be a pretty sight

Then i got back to the editing room to find shaun unhappy and he was pissed cos i didnt see the sunset with him. -.-

------------------------------------------------------

I went to cut my HEAD hair just now.

The usual Malay barber....

Just a small shop in Yishun.

he has been cutting my hair since i came to Yishun. Last time i was obsessed with cutting my hair (cos really... it felt nice...). So it was cutting hair every two weeks....

Its been three months.... so i came back.

A few month before i just found out that this barber played in Holiday inn Kuching TWENTY years ago. Back when my dad was an F&B Manager. promoted form a waiter.

So yes... through this entire web-mass of people.... it could have been fate that I became the link between him and my father.

i cut my hair.. off goes the long locks.... off goes that bushy sideburn.... Now to shave my goatee... if you really wanna consider it a goatee.

I see that he bought himself a nintendo.... he was playing Star Wars Clone Wars... lolz~~~

I also saw that he bought a couple of mountain bikes as well. A guitar hangs on a wall. And an upright piano below it.

hmm... piano...

"how much is this piano?"

"Four thousand.... but i got it for two hundred.... it was a friend's."

"oh okay..."

Then came the magic sentence...

"Do you want to play it?"

And i did.... i pushed a feww keys... played a couple of notes.... and the ever majastic national anthem of our country.

I stopped.... and he asked me to play some more.

i tried to play the first few lines of Moonlight Sonata.... but i guess i wasnt used to playin on a real piano (the Creative Prodikeys keys are like.. what.... half the size of a real piano key.) .. and the rows of keyz on the piano was a bit too much for me to adjust to. all i saw was a row of white and a mass of black.... i really felt dwarved.

I stopped playng, ready to go... and he got up,"Want to see me play?"

and he played.

Not one song. Not two.... SIX songs NON STOP.

he played some classics like "Love Story" and a P Ramlee song (Getaran Jiwa... I sang that on stage when i was in primary school... witha group that is...) .

And the interewsting part here is that he CANT read notes! and self-thought himself. All the sequences was in memory.

I also noticed something.... an action ppl who play the piano do... including myself sometimes..... these ppl.. tend to sway their bodies in rythm with their hands and sound of the music.

Its scary to sit beside a person who does that... lolz... liek kana possessed....

But my hypothesis is that it helps to get the body into rythm with the music.

He played on and on for abt 15 minutes. Just him and I in the shop.

Then he offered me that if i ever needed to play the piano, i can come down to his shop (whihc is just across the road from my hse) anytime.

Then a guy walke in. A friend of his.

I dont know why.. but he introduced me to hiim.. saying that i speak very fluent english (hmm.... i do?) and very little malay (yeah baby.. spot on...). And that i came from and international school in Malaysia. Then he went on abt my dad and him (btw.. the barber plays the bass cello..) and all of a sudden he came onto say that i should really learn to play the piano.

Quoting form him (i find this very boastful... but its all in context....) ,"It takes a professional to sense whther a person has talent in playing a piano. Just now when he (me) was pressing the keys, i sensed that he has talent in the piano."

How can pressing a key tell that i have talent?!
'
"I cant explain.. but i know.."

Before that i told himi i was using the computer and playing on the keyboard at home.

He claims that im very talentd.. cos just by learining from a computer, on my own, i can do... things.. i dunno... i didnt really get the last part.

Adn he urged me to get a piano teacher. Cos if i do.. i'll be an "expert".

And the other day Shaun (yes.. him again....) was in my room and i was fiddling around with my undersized midget keyboard and he claims that i have rythm and melody built in me (i do?) plus i have learnt almost all the basic of playing pop music.

I dont know what to say.... but whtever.. im gonna get a teacher this holiday.

Before i left, the barber told me that i may have all the talent... but harwork must also come with talent.

He said i was gifted to have a lot of talent (modelling... video making...) but i must also be hardworking (seriously.. i lack that... im very complacent.) in order to achieve great standards.

Shaun was commenting on my photography skills yesterday.... i think he liked the sunset i took... and the macro shots of Die Gefuhle which i took.

And a few days ago i was humming my ass off (humming from my ass? hmm tt's new...) in the corridor.. enjoying the reverb (so echo and reverb are not the same things...) and he turned back and wowed at me.

For what?

Cos i "got the correct pitching for the platonic tones" a few moments ago.

What the hell are platonic tones???

well shaun said that its a five note thingy ... (lost here..) ....... err... yeah...

and i sang for him too and he liked it. Saying that i have a "sweet voice" (isnt sweet for femininity?)

Okay.... now... i think... Shaun.... you shouldnt carry my balls too often....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Narrative Video Project (NVP) in nvss is going well... so far...

I brifed them on what this project really is.... yes.. still in its pre-li-me-na-ry stage... meaning it's still on trial. And that if the first video goes well and the school LOVES it.... NVPs would constantly be produced by the students..... with some earning involved (The school doesnt seem to mind paying SGD$300 dollars.... but they still have to go through MOE and the internal audit so that is a problem, really.... cos after all... i'm not a registered producer or anything like that. i'm not even near that level yet either.)

So the synopsis for the NVP script should be coming down to my office (wootz.. office..) ... to my mailbox tomorrow. Then i would be discussing witht hem the good and the bad of their proposed script.

And the next meeting... i will be forwarding to them wht ive been taught in Ngee Ann....

I see that the guys are currently very enthusiastic about this. i'm happy for that. Though... im already hearing conflicts here and there... particularly on the script.

And Beth is being very proactive in composing a song. (beth... you dont have to compose a full 5 minutes song. A 30 second one might just be alright as the vidoe soundtrack.)

My XM2 camera (now i call it Sam) will be rather busy as well.

Tomorrow Justin (the guy with the beard) will be recording his jamming sessions in the studio plus it's( and me as the cameraman) going over to Old Changi Hospital for their music video. In addition... Sam has helped out a bit in our Final Project. Pretty soon, Sam would also be producing videos for the meetings of the NVP in NVSS. Not forgetting the upcoming private vidoe project the crew is coming up with for the holidays.

So yes... Sam is as busy as i am.

It would also be used to record NVSS's NVP and the soundtrack of the video.

Also not forgetting the comlpetion of the house in johor and my trip into the jungles of Yishun, on a bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reflecting back.. i think that things are progressing very well now. I'm sharing my joy doing things i passionately love with people who understand it. And I think that a few doors have opened up for me to try and help others. But of course.... i cannot be alone on all this.

I think i am lucky to be put into a class, a society of talented, intellectual people. The experience, together with the ones i am having with our own heartlanders (Yishun-ers =p) has really shaped my outlook on what the world has to offer.

Otherwise i could have been some guy with long bushy hair sitting under the block smoking or maybe be just another teenager in his own fantasy world, being very materialistic and shallow in his mindset and attitude.

And i still support Bengs! So i'm not all air-headed.... yet.
Posted by Audi