Saturday, March 07, 2009 |  
I was reading a Digg article's comment section just now. I came across this heart-wrenching story user Hal90000 shared. It's worthy enough to be shared.

Here it is:

I had a friend like that once. Thing is, the ending wasn't so cute, or great.

I was young, three or four, and living in Milwaukee. My dad was mowing the lawn, my mom was inside doing laundry and watching my little brother as he slept in his crib. It was cool outside, and I was in the driveway laying down. I noticed a green snake in the grass, and I slithered over to him, because that's how he moved. The little green snake slithered over towards me as well, and we met each other on the pavement, near the grass. I talked to the snake for several minutes, and played games with it. He was my little buddy, that snake, and we had lots of fun.

Days earlier I had noticed that gum did not stick to my shoe when I walked over it, and this intrigued me. I thought I'd step on the snake, because I figured it would be a fun game, and nothing bad could happen. I stood up, and put my right foot over him, and sure enough, nothing happened. The snake was fine, he slithered onward, and seemed to be having a great time. I stepped on the snake again, assuming all was well, and would be well. Only this time, I felt something, and I heard a small crunch. I jumped back in horror, and looked down at my s shaped pal. He was red now, and he stopped moving around. Though I did not know what death was, I knew instinctively that something horrible had happened, and my immediate reaction was to run inside and pour water on the snake, to make it heal. I was sobbing at this point, and I could have filled the cup with my tears. Instead, I filled it with water from the bathtub, as it was the only thing I could manage to reach.

I ran inside and out, pouring cup after cup onto the snake in the hope that it would come back to life, and keep on slithering. I figured if I could make the red go away, he would be alright again. But he wouldn't be alright, and he'd never play any games with me again. Instead of washing the red away, I washed away my first friend. He washed down the driveway in a rush of red colored water, and his grass green color slowly turned dull. I stared in disbelief, and sobbed at what I had done. I wanted to play a game, and I thought I knew it was safe. I kicked off my shoes, and ran inside to mourn alone. Below my right small white shoe was a middle arch, and a red stained heel.

I'll never forget that day. I don't know why.
Posted by Audi Labels: