Monday, January 19, 2009 |  
Hey Sly,

You'll probably be hearing this again in the next minute... and a few hundred more times later through the day. But I'd like to wish you a great twenty-six ahead.

We've never really talked and I was merely that 'fan' overstaying his welcome in your home with that little video camera of mine. Must have been really tough having someone like me floating around.

I don't have much to provide. I'm much of an empty person to think of great gifts to give you.

I've known you since 2006 and you've given me more than I could repay. You brought me into the world of music and I have had endless joy exploring the world of guitars, drums, and gothic fashion. I've seen slices of your life and how you handle them. To me, you were not an idol that I was a fan of. You were a hero to me, at that point of my life.

The day we first met.

You brought me into Dragonfly, in 2007, through the staff entrance and that was the day I recorded and edited a video for you. The band was playing a birthday song in Cantonese and I savored the moment - because that day happened to be mine too - even if the song wasn't dedicated to me.



All my teenage life, I have never held a gathering... nor a party... nor really celebrated my birthday. I wasn't capable, and I never knew anyone who would make that effort. I lived it like it was just another day with a mask over my face.

Silver Wonders concert at Ngee Ann Poly.

But on that year, you were there.

I remember when I entered your house after we got back from the show and the place was dark. No one was around. A moment later, the lights went on and you, Uncle Larry, Auntie Avi, Stacie, your sister... the whole family... surprised me with a little cake with a picture of Doraemon on it. The candles were lighted and all of you sang me a birthday song.

Then you asked me,"Let me take a video for you." and I handed over my camera. It was a such a quiet surprise. But it echoes so loudly in my ears. It's a birthday I cannot forget. And it pains me more to think back that I could ever let our trust down.

You handed me a present. I think it was a t-shirt. I will never know. Maybe God has it in for me - I left it in the cab when I got home at 3am in the morning.

I swear, I searched the whole week for the present, calling the cab line as many times as I could. I never got it back.

All that remains of that day lies in the video tape that was inside the camera when you recorded the whole affair. But on that day, the tape snapped. I never got the chance to put it on playback. Here it lies with a dozen others of my tapes. Nothing else can touch it now.

I'm not ashamed that I've met you, Sly, no matter the flak that I've received. You have always been a great person to hang around with. You were always mindful for what the people around you needed.

Others may see you as a musician... a singer... an idol... but to me, from the bottom of my heart, you will always be the light that shined on those dark years of my youth.

A hero.



Thank you for everything, Sly.

Rock on.