Sunday, June 03, 2007 |  
Telecine has come and gone. Fortunately for us, the group that was "heading for failure", our footages came out nice and only underexposed by half a stop. That's not so bad. Other "power groups" had it worse, surprisingly. Probably because of complacency. One exposed their film without knowing it and  their footage had the a constant blue streak running along the right of their film. I think another was 5 f-stops underexposed. That is unsavable.

A few of the shots were not properly composed or were changed without me knowing. I'm not gonna blame anyone cause we're all learning and it goes both ways. Maybe i didnt communicate what i wanted to Rahman clearly. Maybe he still didnt understand the rules of thirds for framing. But no matter. He knows the mistakes already. Let it go already.

Yichang is our editor for this film and I'm happy. Why? Cause we're both faggots and we love sex!

I'll post a video next time or something. After losing Kenny Sia's camera that i bought last year I've been bringing my video camera around everyday. The lack of anything boring in school makes me regret everytime i dont have a camera with me.

-------------------------------------------

Kwang Wei wrote a post that's related to me lol.

Last Sunday, after the AFP shoot, I met up with Jimmy Low at Ang Mo Kio kopitiam 408 to return him the 100ml of blood he gave us (we could actually keep it...) and the dummy glock and beretta we used for the shoot. I'm quite surprised he trusted me to keep it overnight. Could you imagine what some random person would do with dummy guns in public?

I was about to leave right after returning the things but he got me to sit down and thus begun our two hour talk about the shoot the day before, the industry, his philosophies and about me and my future in the industry.

A bit of background on Jimmy Low: He is a wushu (or kung fu. Same thing) master and started his climb to fame in the 70s in Hong Kong. He is on par with Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan partly because of his physique (Bruce Lee's body you know!) and agility. He's able to use chopsticks as weapons and I saw a picture he showed a few months ago of a board with chopsticks jutting out of them and a few guys including him holding it up. The one stunt that he did to put his foot into the door was of him jumping off a ship and into the water, leg first. He said the experience was one of a kind cause it was the first time he had sea-water shooting up his anus and washing his intestine. He made headlines in Singapore papers once by jumping off from the 7th-storey of a building, without wires and landing on a simple pile of mattress below. The guy who did it before him didnt do well and had his knee drive into his jaw. I respect Jimmy not only because he's a martial arts master but also because of his success story. He's now 50 over years old... that's 40 years in the stunt industry.

I'm the kind of guy who takes in whatever from old chinese men. I have no idea where it came from, but I've had this feeling of attachment to those who are fluent in the martial arts/hung around with gangsters/started life from nothing/have lived for more than half a century. So whenever Jimmy starts talking and giving me advises (quite harshly, tbh),
I take it all in and say nothing. If someone else were to say the same thing and he was my age I'll either wont notice it or give a lot of reasoning.

I find it quite surprising though that when Daryl lectures me at our smoking corner on level 9, I keep quiet and listen and dont develop a sense of resentment after that. Maybe it's cause he has a bigger dick than me i dunno.

After Regional cinema and learning of the rich treasure that we have in our own Asian backyard, I've developed this feeling of hate to American films. Asian cinema is so much better and true to the people than Hollywood. Maybe its the culture itself. This raging hostility between East and West has been going on for so long... centuries... and it could be a testimony to how different we are... and dont you fucking masscomm bimbos tell me howAmerican you feel. You know nuts.

After watching a lot of wuxia films in both school and when i was younger, I kinda hit nirvana and reflected on my childhood. Again, I've no idea where it came from, but after reflecting I remember when i was 5 years old I was pissed scared of the lion dance. I'll be hiding in one corner watching the lions sparring with each other and would run behind under my mom's clothes everytime that fat guy with a big head came walking past. Even so, I'd always bug my parents to see lion dances down at the hotel lobby whenever they have a performance. I enjoyed it, even though i was scared.

In secondary school they always called in a Chinese opera band to perform. Boos and coos were the norm whenever they appeared. There was one time a singer from China had to stop her performance and head backstage, crying, because the student audience were laughing at her. I know nuts about Chinese opera or its art but i cant help but to watch and smile and laugh and go "WHOA!" whenever they go on stage. I've seen Sun Wu Kong countless times and I know the story damn well but I cant help watching another Chinese Opera performing it agian and again and again. The rolling and fighting and swords... mmmm....

I was talkign to Daryl and Don (Aravind.. not Donald Teo... from now on, Don = Don Aravind) about this and finally i decided - I'll make wuxia films.

Don called me nuts. Cause it's gonna cause a lot of money to do the stunts and a lot of skill to choreograph. Then i used the "anti-MOE" reasoning and said,"Everybody can learn. It's only how slow they learn it. Schools expect students to learn this and that within a period of 5 years. if you dont make it within this period of time, you're stupid. But they simply do not understand that learning is forever." Or someting like that. My father's learning how to play the Xbox 360 now (Gears of War, lol). My father is also learning how to invest. My father's learning how to do a lot of weird things i didnt thought he knew. So then what?

But i admitted to DarDon that i cannot write anything with emotion except that of anger and action. I can write endlessly about the flow of action in a gunfight or fist fight but I cannot write about how a person misses his mother. Lack of real-life experience, I admit. They know this. But who was to say that writers write their story single-handedly? FMS gave us quite a world where everything is ideal and everything should be done A to B to C. Which is dangerous, really. If everyone were to think like this, they'd be panicky and all this leads to is unneccessary chaos. Not gonna say names but there you have it.

Don and I made a sort of agreement. He will write a drama. And i will add in my specialty. That way, we'll achieve in making a story that is engaging both visually and intellectually. In theory, it would work.

So yes. Audi wants to make wuxia films. But in order to survive, he'd have to add in more contemporary subjects into his film like duh. Asians rule, Hollywood blows.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Before Jimmy Low left (he walked me to the MRT lol) I turned around and stopped him. He was rolling a ciggratte at that time and i came closer and asked,"Jimmy.. I would like to be your student."

He replies,"Okay."

This month he's going for a ten-day shoot and I'll be his ginna on set learning how to handle guns, blanks, pyrotechnics and hopefully, as the months go by, learn whatever he knows of wuxia in real life and in films. Some might ask if I'm getting paid. Then they'll whine and shout and condemn when I say, "No". Well, does the school pay YOU for learning from them?  

Daryl supported me and noted the future prospects if I were to be of the same standard as Jimmy.
Funny... I never really thought about the prospects lol.

P.S. I know. You're bored. I found this rather interesting post i made a while back.
Posted by Audi Labels: , ,