Tuesday, October 28, 2008 |  
It's the 5th week of BSLC, and I have been here as an OOC since the 2nd week. I took the long Deepavali weekend to reflect deeply on the near future. I've submitted to the possibility of staying here in Bravo Coy, SISPEC, till December, long after the guys have passed out.

Two of the other OOCs have been posted out to RP last week. One went to a Guards camp and the other to a Commando camp as an RP. They celebrated the arrival of the news and I extended my hand to congratulate them. What was my fate, now? I didn't feel sad nor envious. I guess it's been too long, and if I were to stay then why not make it a rich experience?

I booked in on Monday night and walked past the gates in a new-found confidence. This is it.

The next day the company had their first night out. As expected, not everyone could go out and that's just the trainees. What else than the OOC? My sergeant major called me down to the armskote and I stood in front of him, ready for the next orders. Just that morning, we had a heartfelt talk about my feelings at the moment. He's a great guy and I liked working with him.

"Change into civilian clothing. You're getting a night's out."

That night, I walked past the other few OOCs who were looking and moaning in envy as I appeared in civilian. Another OOC mate of mine followed me out as well. It's a new life for me now. A different, more optimistic mindset. I was long tired of the rubbish I've been thinking for the past weeks.

I made sure I was going to make this night memorable so I dropped by the nearest Cold Storage and bought some cheap rum and vodka. I had four hours to spare and I planned on congratulating myself. We bought some burgers and sat under the void deck just smoking and eating and drinking. It wasn't that much of alcohol but I gulped it all down in an effort for a buzz. I was feeling genuinely happy and I couldn't stop grinning. I made my way back to camp and couldn't stop smiling. I was filled with euphoria. I don't know why... I was also slightly groggy from some medication that night on top of the alcohol. I lay on the bed, half naked, my guitar by my side and my ears plugged with rock ballads. I was set, and I was happy. This was my night, and this was my camp. The next day, I received a call.

"Is this Audi? Did you know you had to report to Stagmont camp yesterday?"

I was posted out by the late afternoon. The last Yankee I met that day was Jayden, who was in the office where I was processing my posting order. Thus began my life as a Regimental Police in Stagmont camp.

Stagmont camp is a little camp sitting on top of a hill in Choa Chu Kang. From the guardhouse, where I spend most of my time, I can see Bukit Panjang and the expressway. A few steps out of the gate and it's the common HDB blocks. My duty was basically juggling between sentry duty and counter duty. I get to go home often and my weekends are off. Between duties I have the liberty to do whatever I want. It's great and I can imagine some people wanting to be in my position. But life is fair, and I won't be getting any action out in the field. Ever.

Never in my life have I ever thought I'd end up in this situation.

I'm lucky to have great people here in this small little hut. There are only about seven of us here, and I've made friends with them. I was delighted to know that we had many common interests like photography, the Internet, and technology. As a plus, some were interested in current issues and politics. To put it bluntly, I felt like I had an ounce more of intelligence here than previously.

It's been two weeks now and I've gotten comfortable very fast. I received my camp pass, which confirmed my status as a permanent staff, and I had my own rifle. How much I missed having my own rifle. I've spent many hours out in the rain and sun and my skin has turned many shades darker. These hours of idling always resulted in us having discussions related to our interests. We have a great view of the sky over the horizon and we watch with awe and wonder as we see clouds roll by and thunders flashing. Once, our guardhouse was struck by lightning right after I got into the building. The phones died and the computer, which my sergeant was on, hanged. We have no shortage of thunder here and it once felt like we were being bombarded with artillery. Between these little vignettes, I opened barriers and saluted officers in their cars.

A close friend of Nick is here in this camp, and he happened to be an acquaintance when I was in poly. His name is Jarrel, and we met in the cookhouse once. To me, that was my only physical contact to our friend in OCS. It's creepy-weird, I know, but when you're in a lonely situation, every little vague connection counts.

My life as an RP is exactly how I wanted my life in NS to be: free, autonomous, and there's room for my own interests everyday. I achieved my goal which was planned as a backup if I didn't get into OCS from BMT. But one of the flaws in that plan was I never asked the next question,"Then what?"

I guess this is a learning point - that the grass is always greener on the other side, that one must learn to be contented with what they already have, no matter the situation. I got it all. What more do I want?
Posted by Audi Labels: ,